Christmas is the most wonderful time of the year, and the holidays aren’t complete without a cosy Santa hat! This hat features a garter brim knit flat in white, and then joined to work Stockinette in the round with the red. A big, fluffy pom-pom on top is the final touch to invoke the spirit of that right jolly old elf!
About the Pattern
Katia Big Merino (55% Merino, 45% Acrylic; 87 yards / 100 grams). 1 skein of MC (color 23 “Ruby”), ½ skein CC (color 1 “White”) or other super bulky (5-6 wpi) yarn (100g of MC and 50g of CC).
- US 15 (10mm) 16” circular needles, or size to obtain gauge
- US 15 (10mm) DPNs or circular needles for magic loop, or size to obtain gauge
- Yarn needle
- Stitch marker
- 3.5” pom-pom maker
10 sts and 15 rows = 4” in St st in the round
- 18” circumference, made to fit with 4” negative ease (for up to 22” head circumference)
- 14.5” height (without pom-pom)
- 17” height (with pom-pom)
This is a super simple Santa hat that begins with working the brim flat in garter stitch, joining in the round for the stockinette body, and then simple decreasing to make the pointy top. Then make a quick pom-pom to add on top!
- CC: Contrasting color (brim and pom-pom).
- CO: Cast on.
- K: Knit.
- K2tog: Knit two stitches together.
- MC: Main color (main body of hat).
Continue scrolling for the free pattern!
With CC (white) CO 40 sts. Work in garter stitch (knit every row) for 12 rows.
Switch to MC (red), and join to work in the round. Work in Stockinette stitch (knit every round) for 8.5”, or until hat measures 11” from cast on edge.
Rnd 1: (K2tog, k6) repeat around. (35 sts)
Rnds 2-3: Knit.
Rnd 4: (K2tog, k5) repeat around. (30 sts)
Rnds 5-6: Knit.
Rnd 7: (K2tog, k4) repeat around. (25 sts)
Rnds 8-9: Knit.
Rnd 10: (K2tog, k3) repeat around. (20 sts)
Rnds 11-12: Knit.
Rnd 13: (K2tog, k2) repeat around. (15 sts)
Rnds 14-15: Knit.
Rnd 16: (K2tog, k1) repeat around. (10 sts)
Rnd 17: Knit.
Rnd 18: K2tog around. (5 sts)
Cut yarn and thread through remaining stitches. Pull tight to cinch.
Weave in ends. Use a pom-pom maker to make a 3.5” pom-pom in CC and attach to top of hat.
- Tag your finished projects on Instagram by tagging @juliettepecautdesigns and using #JollyOldStNickHat and #JPDChristmas